If any of you are in the Montreal area this summer, join us!
Plein Air 2015
Year 21. The Magic is still working, so we still after all these years don’t want to change much. We’ll return to many of our favourite sites. Same rules as before: there are none. We want only your camaraderie and your enthusiasm. You are welcome to come to as many or as few as you can.
. Open to all artists. Pass it around to your friends. Free. Sites with entrance fees are noted.
. Meets Tuesday at a new site, 10AM until the last one goes home.
. Your choice of medium, what you can carry, plus your lunch.
. No rain checks. Unless there is a weather warning to stay home – go for it. A 40% chance of rain means a 60% chance of sunshine. If not, paint the rain. We’re often very lucky.
. No reservations. If you plan on attending, just show up.
May 19 – Bois‑de‑Liesse ‑ the historic Pitfield House. It’s still early enough to catch the spring perennials in bloom around the pond. Or the long sweep of lawn or the interesting houses down the lane. 9432 Gouin West, just west of Autoroute 13. Metered parking.
May 26 – Parc des Ancres. A large collection of large anchors in a park surrounding the old canal, the Soulanges bike path, and a waterfall. A side trip is worth exploring for a photo op at the Theatre des Cascades, an old village setting. From the 40 or the 20, take the new 30 to exit 9, follow the signs to Pointe des Cascades. At the flashing yellow, keep right onto rue de l’Aqueduc. Free parking near the gazebo.
June 2 – Cap St Jacques, 21115 Gouin. Not the farm, the beach through the western entrance. The Chateau Goyer is very paintable, along with a few rustic houses and the beach itself. I thought it best to go just before school’s out, less crowded and no extra fees beyond parking. The canteen won’t be open yet, so bring lunch.
June 9 – Baie D’Urfe Town Hall. There is a beautiful rock garden here, with ponds and water plants. The Town Hall building itself is charming, and from here you could walk over to the park on the bay to view either the boats or Fritz’ Farm. Highway 20, exit Morgan road to the end.
June 16 – Parc-nature de l’Ile-de-la-Visitation. 2425 Gouin. Historical houses in the Old Ahuntsic area. My favourite spot is the mill ruins behind the Maison de Meunier * where some of us have lunch at the (very crowded) outdoor cafe. Past Papineau to Gouin [one-way] follow the signs to De Lille. *Best street side parking here.
June 23 – Sandy Beach, Hudson. There is an enchanting maze of footbridges and lookout decks over a meandering stream, with a panoramic view of lake of Two Mountains, and sailboats. Beach Road at Stephen Shaar Community Centre (washrooms, parking). The entrance is just past the tracks at the iron gates and the large map. If the parking is full, there’s more at the Jack Layton Park on Halcro road, keep right at the end of Wharf road.
June 30 – Maison Valois on Valois Bay. 331 rue St Charles, Vaudreuil Dorion. A small park with great views, especially from the smaller island (cross the small bridge). A wide open stretch of lake of Two Mountains with the bridge in the distance, even a view of the church spire, plus sailing boats and kayaks, terraced lawns and interesting houses, and water lilies in season.
July 7 – Greenwood, 254 Main Street, Hudson. A beautiful historic home built between 1732-1860. Now a Centre for Living History. Their famous phlox should be in bloom this week. Rte 40, direction Ottawa, exit 26, right on Bellevue, left on Main. Entrance fee $5. or annual memberships. http://www.greenwood-centre-hudson.org
July 14 – Centre de la Nature Laval. 901 ave.du Parc. There’s a colorful mini-town at the Village des Arts but my favourite is still the rock gardens, the swan and geese in the pond, the gazebos and paths up by Parking Lot #4. rte 440 to 125 south. http://centredelanature.laval.ca/
July 21 – Coteau-du-lac National Historic Site. One of our first favourite places. Rolling hills overlooking rapids, ship skeletons and fishing holes, with a neighbouring millhouse, a terrace overlooking the falls. A famous hotdog stand Le Caveau on the corner.20 West Exit 17, south to the end, turn right on Chemin du fleuve, to 308A on the left. $3.40
July 28 – Ste Anne de Bellevue Canal National Historic Site. There is so much to paint: the boats, the locks, the bridges, the roof lines of the clustered shops and restaurants and tourists on the promenade. A good viewpoint is at the park itself, across the locks. Or the small park near Christie street. Highway 20, exit Ste Anne de Bellevue.
August 4 –Pointe du Moulin. Ile Perrot. There is still so much to paint here. On highway 20 to Ile Perrot turn on Don Quichotte right through to the very end. The mill is difficult to paint – it has become a challenge that draws artists back every year. Free on Tuesdays.
August 11 – The Lachine rapids, in Lasalle. The best view of the churning rapids, in a well-groomed park with small bridges through bird sanctuaries and gnarled trees, against the backdrop of the city. Take the river road. It becomes Lasalle blvd, and just east of Bishop Power is the parking lot, between 5th and 6th ave.
August 18 – Ile des Moulins Park in Terrebonne. A picturesque island setting with a cluster of old stone buildings. Stroll by the river for the rapids, or the historic lane now the hub of gourmet restaurants. Autoroute 25 north, exit 22 E to rte 344, chemin St Louis. Well sign posted. Note: rte 440 in Laval merges with highway 25.
August 25 –Paint and Picnic at Cap St Jacques. 20099 Gouin West, drive all the way to the last parking lot, by the Ecological Farm and the Maison Brunet. Bring your own lunch and/or “pot luck” if you’d like. The ruling is “alcohol permitted as part of a picnic with meals”. Bring a “Show and Tell” of your favourite plein air work (which doesn’t have to be this year’s and might not be a great painting but have a great story to it.).